Saturday, March 31, 2012

Get Real Buffalo - View Point ECIDA: More of same old, same old

BELOW ARTICLE TAKEN FROM BUSINESS FIRST

Viewpoint

ECIDA: More of same old, same old

Premium content from Business First by Tim Godzich

Date: Friday, March 9, 2012, 6:00am EST
Just yesterday, I was told that Mayor Byron Brown was going to visit the Electric Building, where my latest start-up adventure is incubating. I was asked to meet the mayor, and I said that would be fine.
Well, then come the CitiStat cameras alongside his entourage. When I told them that I did not want to be videotaped, he basically just blew me off, seeing that I wasn’t able to provide propaganda for his visionless leadership.
It gets better: The building owner came back later and said that he would really like me to meet the mayor. So, trying to be polite, I met the mayor, and I told him my background and my job-creating entrepreneur endeavors.
The only thing he had to say after giving me a flimsy business card was that “if you have 600 to 1,000 jobs, I really would like you to think about Buffalo and I will help in finding you the space you need.”
Has this guy ever created a private-sector job in his life?
NO.
Has Sam Hoyt, the latest political hack to take over regional economic development?
NO.
Has John LaFalce?
NO.

The list can go on and on and on …

When asked how it feels to be back in Buffalo, I say it is like Groundhog Day. Bringing back re-treads into positions that they have no clue about proves my point.
My new theory is to take the George Costanza approach to Buffalo. Remember the “Seinfeld” episode when George did the exact opposite and suddenly found a job and girlfriend?
Doing the exact opposite to what the political leaders have been doing to Buffalo over the last 50 years will bode well in righting the USS Buffalo before it sails down the Niagara River and crashes over the falls.
Tim Godzich, a Buffalo native and graduate of the University at Buffalo, is co-founder and president of QBHealth. He also was co-founder and CEO of Liazon Corp.; co-founder and an executive in Minneapolis for Definity Health; and manager in Detroit and Chicago for Deloitte Consulting. Contact him at tim.godzich@qbhealth.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment